Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Hate Crimes Against Gay/Lesbian/Bisexuals

                I was scrolling through my Facebook log today and saw this photo. Her name is 
Jenna B. , according to the caption that went along with it. 
I decided I would address the issue that came with the story. Jenna slapped a man who was teasing her about her sexuality. She is a lesbian. This man then beat her up. They both reside in Canada.
What gives anyone the right to harass or assault another human being because of her choice in her sex partner? It's not as if she was hurting anyone by this alone. 

               Growing up, I came across many different variations of this. There are gays and lesbians all over my family tree. I have had several gay/lesbian/bisexual friends in my life and I would say that no one has a choice in this.You can choose to be open about it and that's about it as far as your choices go. It's like trying to say you have a choice in whether or not like you like the smell of fish. You don't have a choice. Either you do or you don't. It's up to you whether you still eat it or not. 
          This type of hate in this day and age is just disappointing. We have so many ways of educating people and yet some just refuse to listen. I think there should be a place for people who hate so much to get some sort of rehabilitation or punishment...whichever tactic works for the level that they are at. I am going to research some of the laws regarding hate crimes surrounding sexual orientation. In the United States, this person would have been arrested for sure. 

No comments: