Friday, June 27, 2008

The Family:La Familia:La Famiglia:La Famille

I'm going to begin by showing you what the Merriam-Webster's definition of family is:



Main Entry: 1fam·i·ly
Pronunciation: \ˈfam-lē, ˈfa-mə-\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural fam·i·lies
Etymology: Middle English familie, from Latin familia household (including servants as well as kin of the householder), from famulus servant
Date: 15th century
1: a group of individuals living under one roof and usually under one head : household
2 a: a group of persons of common ancestry : clan b: a people or group of peoples regarded as deriving from a common stock : race
3 a: a group of people united by certain convictions or a common affiliation : fellowship b: the staff of a high official (as the President)
4: a group of things related by common characteristics: as a: a closely related series of elements or chemical compounds b: a group of soils with similar chemical and physical properties (as texture, pH, and mineral content) that comprise a category ranking above the series and below the subgroup in soil classification c: a group of related languages descended from a single ancestral language
5 a: the basic unit in society traditionally consisting of two parents rearing their children; also : any of various social units differing from but regarded as equivalent to the traditional family a single-parent family b: spouse and children
6 a: a group of related plants or animals forming a category ranking above a genus and below an order and usually comprising several to many genera bin livestock breeding (1): the descendants or line of a particular individual especially of some outstanding female (2): an identifiable strain within a breed
7: a set of curves or surfaces whose equations differ only in parameters
8: a unit of a crime syndicate (as the Mafia) operating within a geographic area
— fam·i·ly·hood \-ˌhu̇d\ noun


If you cannot see where I am going with this, let me explain. In the past, I have been with many families. I was born into a family. I lived with a family that was not technically my own but I became one of them briefly. I was adopted into a family and then I was married into a family.

To me, family is a group of people of which I belong. They accept me. Sometimes they don't like what I do but they still love me and want me to succeed. They help me get on the right path when I am going down the wrong one.

Family is always there. They don't leave you behind. They don't cast you aside. They pick you up when you are down. They may criticize you but they always show you the right way to do it. Even if it means holding your hand the whole time. They keep you with them so that they can guide you along the rocky roads.

It is important, that last sentence. Family stays with you no matter what.

That is all I have to say.

1 comment:

Selerines said...

Thanks for the information.....