Sunday, June 1, 2008

Time is Valuable




No matter how long you live, you will never have enough time.

There's always something new that I want to do, something new to experience, something new to taste, to see, to hear, to feel...

My kids ask me, "Mom, can you read me a bedtime story?"

My husband asks me, "Honey, do you want to go have dinner and a movie?"

My family asks me, "So when do I get to see the baby?"

My friends ask me, "Are you going to have any time next week for lunch?"

Sometimes my head just spins with questions and responsibility. Do I have time? Yes, I have time. Let me see. Let me check with my husband. Let me make sure I have a sitter. Let me make sure the kids are going to be in school. Let me see if I have anything else going on.

I am a slave to time now. It is so weird. How does someone who is a stay-at-home mom have no time?

For those of you who manage to work in a few minutes with your significant other, I have made a list of things you can do to kill time. If you have little ones still home, you can take them to all of these places.

1. Go miniature golfing. It's fun, short and you can talk about things.
2. Grab a pizza and head to the park.
3. Find a museum.
4. Book stores are awesome "third places" to socialize, listen to music and relax.
5. Locate an indoor track and go for a run. Or go back to the park.

I have wasted a lot of time not doing the things that I want to do, not saying the things that I need to say and not being the person I want to be. I hope this blog inspires you to try something new and spend time with the special people in your lives before it is too late. Don't let your everyday responsibilities bog down your life. Don't get sucked into movie night and don't assume that you have to go on dates at night, only spend time with your kids during certain times or only visit your family on holidays. Call your mom and for God's sake, kiss your loved one when they walk out the door!!!

~Nika

1 comment:

Sandy said...

This is so true Nika!Do it now!
As one gets older, everything seems to speed up and days go much faster! There seems to be more to do and you have less physical stamina.In the midst of it all, you have to make time for yourself...to do those things you have always wished to do....