Sunday, August 17, 2008

Is Prostitution a Crime?

I recently had an experience of which both surprised and disgusted me and although I have been advised not to gossip, I do need to have an outlet.

I came across some persons who I thought were in the business of trading sex for money. The people were of very different backgrounds and age ranges. It was pretty obvious to me and others who were around what was going on.

Just like the rest of society, I have my own opinions about things. I try not to be a judgemental person. This situation makes me question a few things though.

I have to know what it is that drives people to do things like this. And not from a judgemental view, from a health view. From a self-respect view. From a mother's view.

I am a writer. I'd like to consider myself a history buff, too. A humanitarian and a loving person. Definitely a sexual person. A person with the some wants and desires as the next and maybe even more.

I commend the men and women who have to do this because they have no other options. I don't think I could. There are just too many things at risk. I apologize to anyone reading this that is offended. It is not meant to be offensive, just thought provoking.

There are many countries and even in some parts of Nevada where prostitution is legal. I have seen documentaries about it that discuss the pros and cons of the job. I have read books. "Why?" you ask. It's just an interesting topic, like the legalization of marijuana. I typically don't see things in black and white,therefore, these kinds of things cross my mind from time to time. I believe there is an exception to every rule. So, I tend to side with the underdog on occasion.

So what is my opinion? Well, I know many people who have been in the business all of their lives and some for portions of it. It is dangerous, on all counts. It can be rewarding knowing that you did help someone. It can help you feel better to know that maybe you kept someone from being raped or kept someone who was very lonely from being alone. But I don't like it. I believe the body is a treasure, to be kept safe from all harm. There is an exception to every rule I say, so as long as no one is in danger, I don't see the need to keep it illegal.

I wish that everyone was honest though. I continuously see news reports of married people going behind each other's back cheating with a prostitute. That's not fair. It's not easy to be married, I know that. But cheating is cheating. You are hurting someone and that I do not agree with.

I am going to leave this up to my readers to decide for themselves. I hope that a lot of thought is put into your words before you comment because you never know who you could be hurting.

No comments: